Cancer, a collection of disease characterized by abnormal growth, is gradually eroding the Earth of human life form. Below are some facts about cancer, mostly in the US (from medical News today) :
- More than 575,000 people die of cancer, and more than 1.5 million people are diagnosed with cancer per year in the US.
- Cancer is considered to be one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide.
- The financial costs of cancer in the US per year are an estimated $263.8 billion in medical costs and lost productivity.
- African Americans are more likely to die of cancer than people of any other race or ethnicity.
- It is believed that cancer risk can be reduced by avoiding tobacco, limiting alcohol intake, limiting UV ray exposure from the sun and tanning beds and maintaining a healthy diet, level of fitness and seeking regular medical care.
- Screening can locate cervical cancer, colorectal cancer and breast cancer at an early, treatable stage.
- Vaccines such as the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine assists in preventing some cervical, vaginal, vulvar, and oral cancers. A vaccine for hepatitis B can reduce liver cancer risk.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the numbers of new cancer cases is expected to rise by about 70% over the next 20 years.
- The most common sites of cancer among men are lung, prostate, colon, rectum, stomach and liver.
- The most common sites of cancer among women are breast, colon, rectum, lung, cervix and stomach.
The above is gloomy and frightening, but we can avoid this disease as much as we can by doing the right thing.
Get Screened today!